10 WRITING TIPS FOR YOUNG WRITERS
1. Read, read, read! Reading lots of different books will help you to create your own ideas.
2. Write a lot - at home and at school. Practice makes perfect.
3. If you don’t know where to start, write about things that you like or that interest you.
4. Remember to plan your story. It must have a start (tell your readers about the characters and where the story is happening), a middle section (the plot, the action), and an ending.
5. It’s easy to forget some of your best ideas, so jot them down in a notebook as soon as they pop into your head! They might come in handy when you want to write your next story.
6. Ask yourself: Who? What? Where? When? How? The answers to these questions will be important in your story.
7. Imagine yourself as one of the characters when you’re reading and when you’re writing. What can you see, hear, smell, think and feel?
8. Try to make each of the characters in your story a little bit different from each other. Remember, they don’t all have to be perfect!
9. If you feel stuck, ask yourself “What if?” and let your imagination wander. Jot down your ideas and choose the best.
10. Read over your work when you’re finished and check it carefully. Make sure it is the very best it can be.
Wishing you the best of luck with your writing!